Making Drinking Water available
Drinking water, that most fundamental of needs is a serious problem in rural, drought-prone parts of India. In one village the nearest well was 3 km away and often completely dried up. Our projects aim to improve the water-retention capacity of the land, thus recharging the wells and helping ensure a more reliable supply of water.
Drinking Water for a Rural School
Sanskriti Samvardhan Mandal, was established in 1959 and runs one of the largest rural residential schools in India. It accommodates about 2000 rural children in 11 hostels and about 1500 day scholar children from Sagroli and 10 surrounding villages. The drinking water supply for the school was originally provided by the Village council (Panchayat) from the Manjira. It was designed in 1968 to serve a population of 800 on the school campus. In 2005, a separate water supply scheme for the school campus was established with the help of the Rotary Club, its source being a tube well on the campus.
SSM provides simple meals for all its children, with dining halls for the boarders and picnic style dining for day scholars. Drinking water is provided from a series of taps on the assembly ground.
The drinking water supply was satisfactory only during the monsoon and for a few months thereafter. As the ground water level goes down from January to June, the water supply is severely affected and the poor electricity supply made the system unreliable. To make matters worse, the water supply was very hard and with a high fluoride content. This led to digestion, dental and skin problems. To help overcome these problems SSM proposed a new water supply from the Manjira river about 2.5 kilometres away. This involved fitting a pump in the river bed and a pipeline to the school. It was also proposed that the old reservoir be used to store and distribute the water.
Equitable Water was happy to fully fund this project. Work started late in 2008 and, because the pipes needed to run across planted fields, work was delayed until after the harvest. In May 2009 the new water supply to the school was inaugurated and is now fully functional.